Causeway Hexagon Steak Stone & Hand Carved Platter
FREE DELIVERY NI & GB
1-2 working days for in-stock items. Exclusions apply.
INSTALLATION & RECYLING
Local installation & disposal service.
12 MONTHS BUY NOW PAY LATER
Available instore for orders above £200.
One of a kind pieces inspired by the world famous Giant’s Causeway
- Polished basalt lava stone with hand finished edges for a flawless finish.
- Locally made hand-carved wooden serving platters in Brazilian mahogany upcycled from a church pew.
- Hexagonal design to maximise cooking area on a compact platter to free up table space for side dishes.
- Designed & commissioned in the Causeway Coast & Glens.
- Each collection is limited to a handful of pieces.
As it turns out stone is an exceptional cooking surface with a natural non-stick plane requiring little to no oil & a dry heat that locks in all of the delicious flavour.
After a light seasoning you can cook meat, fish and veg directly over the hot cooking stones as our ancestors did a millennia ago.
Upon this rock...
Our Genesis collection features a Brazilian mahogany platter upcycled from a discarded Church pew.
Known by tradesman as 'genuine mahogany', this wood is famed for it's durability as it was grown in it's native environment.
It's exceptionally rare today due to the high demand for cheaper imitation mahogany grown in plantations.
Local craftsman, Gordy Black, has done an exceptional job to breathe new life into this beautiful piece.
This collection in Hexagon is limited to a handful of pieces.
Basalt is an igneous rock formed formed from molten lava as it cools on the surface of the earth.
Basalt is an extraordinarily versatile material thanks to its density, strength & durability finding favour with architects, sculptors & masons across the ancient world.
As it turns out, basalt’s unique composition proves the perfect foil for cooking too.
It’s non-porous surface does not absorb liquid rather it's dry heat instantly sears sealing all the delicious moisture & flavour in your chosen cut.
A completely natural non-stick surface free from fats, oil & Teflon.
From the Atlantic to the Mediterranean...
The Giant’s Causeway teases the supernatural with it’s perfectly formed hexagonal geometry.
Over 40,000 basalt columns forged by fire & water acting as a beachhead separating land from sea.
Or according to legend, a footbridge to confront a rival..
The eruption that formed the infamous columns is believed to have happened some 60 million years ago.
Short on a steady supply of lava & reluctant to shave a few metres of raw material off a world heritage site, we instead cast our eyes towards the Mediterranean sea & the foothills of Mount Etna, Sicily.
The ancient Romans believed Vulcan, the God of fire, housed his forge beneath Etna. The word 'volcano' originates from his name.
Mama Etna, as it's affectionally referred to by Sicilians, is one of the most active volcanoes in the world making the surrounding towns a fertile area for vineyards, tourism & master stone masonry.
Our designs are commissioned to local masons in the shadow of Etna where our lava stones are precision cut to spec with water-cooled diamond tipped blades & smoothed by hand.
Our hand-carved wooden platters are unique one-off pieces thoughtfully made by local craftsmen.
The wood is ethically sourced from offcuts.
Instructions for use:
How to heat:
- Causeway lava stones are suitable for use in an oven, barbecue, hob or under the grill. Not suitable for induction.
- Ensure stone is bone dry before heating.
- Heat inside an oven at 250c for 40 mins or on a gas hob or 30mins.
- Suitable oven/BBQ gloves must be used when handling heated lava stones.
Sizzle test & serve:
- To check whether the stone is temp drop a teaspoon of water on the surface. This should burn off within 5-10 seconds.
- If not, continue to heat until ready.
- Once ready place the stone inside the serving platter.
- The platter has been carefully recessed into the platter to retain heat & reduce exposure to hands whilst cutting. The stone will retain a searing heat for 20 minutes.
- Season the surface with a light coating of olive oil & cook.
- Suitable for handwashing only with a sponge or cloth. Do not use chemicals or detergents.
- Allow the stone to cool to room temperature before washing in case of thermal shock caused by a sudden change in temperature.
- If in doubt, do not touch the stones with bare hands until certain they are cooled down. Lava stones heated to 250c may take over 60minutes to cool. When heated on a BBQ this process may take longer.
- Wood platter will discolour over time due to the heat from the stone.
NB ** Packaging is repurposed from available materials & does not come in a mass-market gift box.
We offer fast and free delivery nationwide
- Fully tracked 48 hour delivery on small to medium parcels
- Large appliances & TV installation available in the local area
- Large appliances & TV shipping service across UK (pallet)
- Collection from store
Large appliances & TV
Delivery of large kitchen appliances (washing machines, fridge freezers etc) is available across the majority of the UK on a pallet service to ensure a safe arrival of the goods.
Deliveries & installation in the local area (Ballymoney, North coast, Ballymena) is performed in house by our team.
To enquire about a product or service give us a call or contact our support team.
All other items (coffee machines, vacuum cleaners, hifi etc) are available for free UK delivery and are shipped on a tracked service with either Royal Mail or DPD.
Collect at store:
Order to collect at store is available Monday to Friday. This option will be presented at checkout.
Installation of TVs and appliances is available in the local area (Ballymoney, North Coast & Ballymena).
Exclusions include Gas appliances and built-in appliances wherein a kitchen door is hinged such as an integrated fridge freezer.
In such cases we recommend local specialists.
To quote for an installation please request this from the team.